Wednesday, July 14, 2010

9 de Julio - Montjuic

Mary didn’t think it was that funny, and to tell you the truth, she didn’t get the pun until a couple days after I started repeating, “I would like some Montjuic with my French Dip.” It’s really not that funny but every time I said it, I laughed in my head, or out load.

Mary took July 8th to tour things we see on our run. I took July 9th to finish up my critical essay for school, do research on Capote’s In Cold Blood, and finish writing the last 12 pages of the essay. It was a riot. I bounced off the apartment walls with excitement every time I wrote the word nonfiction. Just kidding. The morning kind of sucked. But we escaped to “Au Jus.” Okay, it’s a dumb joke. But I’m gonna keep trying.

Montjuic sits high atop Barcelona. Its cannons and brick walls face the Mediterranean Sea. The thick brick lays still beneath the feet of thousands of people looking out toward the different barris of the city of Barcelona. We saw La Sagrada Familia push its giant pillars into the skyline of the city and the popping skyscrapers on the newly constructed Forum area. Like a panel from a giant spaceship, the football field sized solar panel that faces the morning sun sat on the edge of the sea.

The city of Barcelona is as diverse to look down upon as the mix of people that walk beneath the plunging fortress that sits above them. We waited on top until the little man came around and told us, “Cerramos.”

Our tired feet took us to Barceloneta for a night cap. Nude men walked on the coastline, and I wondered where they would dip their roast beef.